Duterte talks to Canadian PM,
sorry for beheading of hostage

May 26 2016 12:11 PM

(Composite) Images from Rody Duterte's Facebook page and screengrab from CBC News Youtube video
(Composite) Images from Rody Duterte’s Facebook page and screengrab from CBC News Youtube video

An apology for the beheading of a Canadian hostage by the Abu Sayyaf and a commitment for partnership highlighted a phone conversation between presumptive President Rodrigo Duterte and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Duterte said in a media briefing Wednesday night, May 25, that he talked to Trudeau by phone and discussed the partnership between the Philippines and Canada.

Radio reports quoted him as telling Trudeau: “May we remain partners for all time.”

Duterte also said he discussed human rights with Trudeau during the phone conversation.

But Duterte also said he apologized for the beheading of John Ridsdel, a Canadian abducted by the Abu Sayyaf in Mindanao late last year.

Ridsdel was abducted along with Norwegian Kjartan Sekkingstad, Canadian Robert Hall and Filipina Maritess Flor. The Abu Sayyaf beheaded Ridsdel last April.

The bandit group has also released a video of the three remaining hostages, who sought help from Duterte. The Abu Sayyaf has given a deadline of June 13 to get ransom.

For MORE of NewsCentral.PH, click below:
News | Nation | Adobo Mix | Sports | Entertainment | Lifestyle | Business | Technology Trending Now | Wild Guess | Eksena ni Kulot

Comments

MOST READ POSTS