Cavite Governor Juanito Victor “JonVic” Remulla Jr. has jumped ship in support of presidential candidate Davao City Rodrigo Duterte, according to sources who brokered the meeting between the two local officials.
The sources who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to media said that Remulla, former spokesman of Vice President Jejomar Binay for political concerns, sealed his support for Duterte during a meeting in Cavite last week.
The same sources said there were three meetings that took place. Duterte and Remulla met in the second meeting here in Metro Manila during one of presidential candidate’s campaign sorties.
Aside from Duterte, among those who attended the private meeting was a representative of the Revilla clan and political officers, they said.
During his talk with Duterte, Remulla promised to give the former Davao City mayor one million votes from Cavite on May 9, said the sources.
Remulla has reportedly informed Binay about his decision, sources added.
In February, during a campaign sortie in Cavite, Binay promised to appoint Remulla as his interior and local government secretary.
Remulla said that he was honored by the gesture of Binay, standard-bearer of the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA).
The Cavite governor, who was formerly with the Nacionalista Party, became the spokesperson of Binay in 2014. He said the move had the blessings of the NP.
Remulla cited his long history of friendship with Binay because they were neighbors in Makati.
In 2015, Remulla resigned as spokesperson of Binay. He was replaced by lawyer Rico Quicho who was part of the defense team for impeached Chief Justice Renato Corona.
In 1986, Remulla was the Kabataang Barangay chairman of their village in Makati City. It was the first time for Binay to serve as mayor of the country’s financial district.
As of posting time, NewsCentral.PH is trying to reach Remulla and the Binay camp for their comments.