Pacquiao backs WBO review of fight with Horn

July 5 2017 9:57 AM

While he said he has already  accepted his defeat over Australian  Jeff Horn,  Senator Manny Pacquiao  backed calls  for  a thorough review   of their  fight  by the World Boxing Organization (WBO).

“WBO should take appropriate action on the letter sent by the Games and Amusement Board (GAB) so as not to erode the people’s interest in boxing,” Pacquiao said in a statement on Wednesday,  July 5.

“On my part, I had already accepted the decision but as a leader and, at the same time, fighter I have the moral obligation to uphold sportsmanship, truth and fairness in the eyes of the public.”

“I love boxing and I don’t wanna see it dying because of unfair decision and officiating,”  Pacquiao added.

In a letter to WBO president Francisco Valcarcel dated July, 3,  officials of the Games and Amusement Board (GAB) called for a through review  of the  Horn-Pacquiao fight for possible “miscalls” of the referee and the  judges.

Pacquiao lost his WBO welterweight title to Horn  via unanimous decision.

“While we respect the decision, we are constrained to request for a thorough review by the WBO for possible miscalls of the referee where some deductions were not made and of the judges in their judging that have caused varying opinions on their objectivity,”  the letter reads.

“We are making this request for a review, which may call for sanctions on the referee if so warranted, in furtherance of our mutual goal of protecting the integrity of the sport and even more improving the boxing industry we all love,”  it further said.

Comments

MOST READ POSTS