Now on its 78th season, the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) kicks off on September 5 with theme “Tumitindig, Sumusulong.”
University of the Philippines (UP) is this season’s host school.
Eight universities comprising the UAAP will compete in 15 sports to vie for the general championship.
Among sports competitions, basketball is the most anticipated. Many UAAP players eventually advance to the professional league and become stars of the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).
Giving spectators sideline coverage on the heart-stopping action are courtside reporters, chosen by ABS-CBN Sports from among many who auditioned for the part.
Here is this year’s batch:
- Maria Cristina “Nina” Josefina Alvia (UP) –According to her blog “Infinite Existence,” Nina has “caffeine running through my veins”. She also has a thing for McDonald’s fried chicken and rice, Chinese takeout/cuisine, and grilled cheese.
- Jeanine Beatrice Tsoi (De La Salle University) – Jeanine is on her second year as courtside reporter for DLSU. She is enrolled in Industrial Management Engineering with minor in Service Management (BSIME-SM)
- Stephanie Jean “Stef” Monce (Adamson University) – Stef is a customs administration student and a Partyphile and Street Team member of radio station Magic 89.9.
- Mary Angelique Manto (University of Sto. Tomas) – Angelique is a member of the Circle of Talents of Tomasian Cable Television (TOMCAT). She was born in Lubao, Pampanga.
- Pauline “Pau” Versoza (University of the East) – Pau is not a student of UE. She is a broadcast communication student of UP and is a member of the Filmmakers Guild.
- Ianira Mae “Ira” Pablo (National University) – Just like Pau, Ira is from UP. According to her Facebook account she applied as courtside reporter two years ago but failed to make the cut. “I say never, ever give up on your dreams,” she wrote.
- Laura Lehmann (Ateneo de Manila University) – Also on her sophomore outing as courtside reporter, Laura is no stranger to sports. She was part of the Philippine Softball team which placed second in the World Series held in the US a few years ago.
- Ganiel Akrisha “Gan” Krishan (Far Eastern University) – Gan is among the stars of Star Magic and has appeared in several ABS-CBN shows such as Oh My G!, Maalaala Mo Kaya and Happy Yippee Yehey!